700 N. Lynn Ave. ~ Pawhuska, OK 74056 ~ Phone: (918) 287-9119
"Celebrating the 100th year of the First Boy Scout Troop in America (1909-2009)"The Osage County Historical Society Museum, located at 700 North Lynn, Pawhuska, has five main exhibit areas: Boy Scouts, Western Life, Pioneer Life, Early Day Oil Industry, and Native American life.
The Boy Scout exhibit centers around the first Boy Scout troop in the United States, which was founded in Pawhuska in the Spring of 1909. This troop preceded the organization of the Boy Scouts of America in 1910 and thus had a charter from the Boy Scouts of England. A statue of a Boy Scout in the British uniform of 1909 is located in front of the museum.
The museum recently held a 2007 Oklahoma Centennial Celebration. The highlight of this celebration was the unveiling of a new bronze piece honoring the first Boy Scout troop in America. The bronze is a replicate of "What It's All About" by the late Jim Hamilton, of Pawhuska.
The western life exhibit includes branding irons, replicas of brands, saddles, photos, memorabilia, and a real chuck wagon used on a ranch west of Pawhuska.
Pioneer items featured are quilts, clothing, furniture, many old photographs, and the sextons book of the Pawhuska Cemetary, from the beginning of the cemetary to 1967, also sold in the Museum is an updated Book.
The early day oil display represents early oil operations in Osage County, and includes information on boom towns in the county and famous oilmen. Also a scale model of a wooden oil derrick can be seen at the Museum.
Osages and other tribes are recognized in the Native American exhibit, which features clothing, beadwork, blankets, rare "Medicine Man's" flute and bag, memorabilia, and many photographs. Also, we have the Osage Roll Book available for $35.00.
Other exhibits in the museum concern the historic 101 Ranch near Ponca City, and Ben Johnson, foreman of the famous Chapman-Barnard Ranch, now the Nature Conservacy Buffalo Ranch. Also, there are displays of World War I and II uniforms, photos and memorabilia, including the Tinker case.
Several items of interest are located on the grounds of the museum, known as the Cultural Park. Two rail cars north of the museum actually were used by Santa Fe between Kansas and Pawhuska. One is a cattle car and the second is a combination passenger, freight, and mail car. A one room country schoolhouse, south of the museum, has been completely restored and contains desks, chalkboards, iron stove and artifacts.
Site last updated: August 18, 2009